Ranitidine (brand name Zantac) is a medicine commonly used to treat ‘gastric symptoms’ including indigestion and heartburn. As a precaution, all ranitidine products have been recalled due to possible contamination with an impurity. Where possible, we will offer patients an alternative, but this may not be an option for everyone, depending on your other medicines and health conditions.
HERE ARE SOME TIPS FOR MANAGING YOUR SYMPTOMS:
- Reduce caffeine, alcohol and fizzy drinks
- Lose weight if you’re over weight
- Eat your evening meal at least 3 hours before going to bed
- Ask your local pharmacy about over-the counter antacids
- Do not smoke
- Avoid overly rich, spicy and fatty foods
- Avoid using ibuprofen and aspirin as these can irritate the stomach more
There is no need to be concerned if you have been taking ranitidine as levels of the possible contaminant are likely to be very low.